Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Day 62: Creature Of Habit


Yeah, that's my deodorant. Sorry you all had to see that, but I wanted to talk a little about my psyche for a moment.

I've realized over the years that I am a creature of habit. I use the same brands all the time, wake up at the same time every day (weekends excluded), eat the same foods at restaurants, drink the same beverage, go to the same stores, walk the same pathways and a ton of other idiosyncrasies of my daily life. As far as the brands go, I just like what I like and see no need to change that. Being adventurous with food, beverages and personal hygiene are not things I want to explore other options in. When I have I always return to the familiar.

I used to do the same with my religiousness too. I always went back to saying a prayer to give me comfort about my salvation. There is no telling how many times I said that same prayer in hopes that it would stick and I wouldn't always feel so... well, lost. I later found out the reason I always felt lost was because I was lost, which explains a lot about my former life.

My life consisted of a very self centered lifestyle. I wanted me to be pleased. I did care what others thought, but I was numero uno and ultimately if I wasn't going to be served in my actions in some way, then I wasn't going to do it. I wasn't a bad guy, as far as the world was concerned, but I was definitely not good either. I was a miserable wretch that was as self righteous as they come. I justified my sins, my choices and never thought about glorifying God in any way, shape or form. I was my own god.

Oh how things change. Or better said, oh how God changes things. When He opened my eyes and exposed me to me I knew that I was living a lie and had never actually ever trusted in Christ and repented of my sins, turning to God for my salvation instead of putting faith in a prayer. It is awesome how things really come into focus when you become a new creation in Christ. A true child of God sees daily choices in a different manner. Entertainment choices change, friends change, church changes. I am so thankful to my Father for taking the scales from my eyes so I can actually see Him instead of the unbiblical god I was told about my whole life. I now see how people will stand before God on judgment day and profess to know Him, but never gave a second thought to Him during their life. What a sad day it will be. Which is why we need to take Jesus' command to go seriously and carry it out daily. Be aware of those that God puts in our life and our path to witness and tell of His great love and mercy available, if they will repent and trust in Him.

No comments: