Monday, October 18, 2010

Day 109: Cat Man Don't


Have I ever said on a blog post that I don't like cats? Well, if I haven't - I don't like cats. Not that I wish any harm to the little critters, I just don't like them in my house.

So, thanks to my sweet wife, she has allowed 2 cats to come into our home. They seem to really like me, but like I said, I am not very fond of them. I think I featured this cat back in the beginning of my "Year In my Life Through Pictures" series and since then he hasn't grown on me any. He thinks he has because he likes to perch next to me and lay nuzzled up to my legs at night. But, I still wouldn't shed any teas if he had a new home.

I probably sound cruel to some people, but I'm not. I just never wanted animals in the house, in my care. I am not evil, just not wanting my life to revolve around cleaning up after them, taking them out, not being able to go on vacation because of them, extra expenses for food and so on. My belief is that if they never would have been know to the household, they would never have been gotten attached to by Chandra and the boys.

I use that same rationalization for other things as well. Music being one of my favorites to say that about. If you do not listen to it, then you will not like it. Movies, TV shows and certain books also fit into this category. So, actually any type of entertainment that is geared towards having people purchase their products is right there with cats/ pets. You must always be on guard for what is being ingrained in your mind and psyche. Just as what you consume physically has bearing on your body, what you consume mentally has effect on your thoughts and ultimately your spiritual condition.

Justifying things is the next step after a person likes something not very good for a Christian to partake of. Excuses is the more operative word and the main argument is "I am strong enough that it doesn't effect me". This is closely followed by a hyperbolic statement such as, "At least it isn't (insert your more blatant sin here)". That one really gets my ire, as something is ungodly if you compare it something more ungodly or not. I've seen mass murderers use this same logic when saying, "I'm not that bad, at least I'm not like Jeffrey Dahmer who ate boys. I just killed a few people."

This type of justification is very dangerous to Christians. It also teaches others to bend their convictions. I see this a lot with "Christian" music artists as they wear their mainstream music group t-shirts. I have seen Third Day wear Guns 'N' Roses shirts and hearken back to yesteryear with their "fond memories" of listening to G'N'R. Is that something that really should be put out there by prominent Christian artists? Not at all. Of course there are other, more hardcore groups that promote other ungodly groups like The Misfits, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Slayer and even a "Christian" author has written a book on how to glean from the music of Metallica.

It is a very sad state of Christendom. There must be voices to cry out for a return to biblical standards and practices. Being like the world is of Satan. For a "church" or mainstream "Christian" musicians to endorse the antiChrist values to the youth is an abomination. Where are the church leaders that take a stand against this type of worldly promotion? They are often relegated to "crazy" status by everyone. I think those that promote this mind of satanic influence would do well to read Proverbs 17:15 Proverbs 17:15 He who justifies the wicked, and he who condemns the just, both of them alike are an abomination to the LORD.

No comments: