Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Tied Down


Day 263 in my "Year In My Life Through Pictures" blog series

A while back I featured my "new", old truck that we purchased. A 1967 Ford F100 that is in pretty decent shape for being 44 years old. It has it's issues, a little rust here and there, but hey, it's 44 years old.

So, I bought a package of tie-downs to keep in it for whatever reason. It seems like whenever I borrowed someone else's truck in the past that I always needed tie-downs for whatever reason I was borrowing the truck for. It's what every truck needs, right? Well, besides gas, brakes, an engine, a key, wheels, tires, lights, you get the point. They are the accessory that every truck needs, how about that? They will come in handy to, well, tie stuff down to keep it from moving.

Talking about tiedowns reminds me of ties that we like to hold on to that we probably shouldn't. For me, it is the old "stuff" that was taught and told to me in my former church and what is prevalent today in American Christianity. So many things just come to mind that I have to question whenever any particular topic is brought up. If someone mentions the Second Coming of Christ my mind automatically goes to the "Left Behind" mentality, because that's all I was ever told. I never knew that there were so many different points of view of the subject. Pre-Trib, Mid-Trib, Post-Trib? That's not even to mention Amillennialism, Preterism,Supersessionism, Covenant theology or Futurism. We like to tie down our thoughts and not be open to the possibility of being wrong about any given thing.

Personally, I am open for anything as long as it is supported by scripture. I had such a warped view of God all during my life, until conversion, that I question everything now. I even question some things that my pastor says now, which is biblical to do. We are to test everything. EVERYTHING! As humans we like to put our thoughts into God's and give Him human characteristics. I am so thankful He is not like us. Of course we don't understand why He allows things like earthquakes in Japan that kills thousands, heresy to spew from pulpits or the death of a baby. But, we can rest assured that He is in control and everything brings glory to His Name.

My confidence is in God and not my understanding of Him. I am quite content at knowing that I will never understand just how awesome He is in every way. I am thankful that He has shown me grace and mercy throughout my whole life and especially that He loves me as a son. He is my Father. That I am tied to and will never be cut lose from.

No comments: