Friday, December 10, 2010

Day 161: Now, That's All I Needed


Stopped my my favorite place to eat for lunch today, McDonald's. Seems like they are giving away a free cookie with purchase of a large value meal. Now, I really do not need the McDonald's meals anyway, but to throw in a "free" cookie in is not any better for the aging physique. Sure, I could have refused the freebie, but c'mon, it was free.

This is how we all are though in a lot of areas. We like to feel like we are getting something for nothing, even if it is bad for us. Some may call them guilty pleasures or say they do no harm. I say that there is no such thing as a guilty pleasure or without consequence be it good or bad. The free cookie from McDonald's was definitely tasty, but it also added some extra calories on top of the high amount in the meal in the first place.

As far as guilty pleasures go, if it is "guilty" then it is probably wrong. If it violates your conscience, as a child of God, then it is sin. Plain and simple. We shouldn't justify these feelings away as partaking in them every now and then as proof they do not harm us. I am just as guilty as the next and am again preaching to myself.

May this be a wake up post to myself that I need to listen more to my conscience and less to my desires.

No comments: