Monday, December 13, 2010

Day 164: It's About That Time


It is about that time of year. Guess what time that is. Okay, I'll tell you. It's the time of year that I start making assorted candies for Christmas. Last year I added fudge to my repertoire and this year I may try to make peanut brittle (again). The staples that I make are peanut butter buckeyes and a special chocolate cookie with a Reese's Miniature in the center.

Last year I kind of went fudge crazy after making my first batch of peanut butter fudge. I then made chocolate, peanut butter and chocolate, mint and vanilla. All were quite tasty and were well received. This year I may cut back the offerings to the simple peanut butter and chocolate. But who knows? I will probably try something else too, maybe a cherry fudge for those of my friends and family that like that flavor.

It is weird how certain tastes can illicit certain memories. This goes for certain smells as well. I can remember as a child stepping into my grandmother's home during family get togethers like Christmas and Thanksgiving. The first thing I noticed was the smell of black coffee. All the adults were drinking their coffee, but not us kids. I don't remember exactly what we had, but the coffee was off limits. I do remember having some as I got older, but not black and heavily mixed with cream and sugar. To this day I am not a coffee drinker, but the smell brings back some good memories of my youth.

What smells or flavors bring back memories for you? I'm sure that not all the memories are good. Watermelon is one such for me, both the flavor and smell. I got sick after eating watermelon when I was a child and now will not eat any since it left a lasting impression on me.

It is great to remember things from days gone by. It helps keep us aging folk on our game with fleeting memories. One area I try to remember more and more is the time of my conversion. I want to look back and remember that wonderful feeling of the reality of God in my life. As we progress we seem to get numb or used to that feeling and need reminding. We get into our rut and need to be pulled from it often to remember what God did and is still doing to us and for us. He initially saved and justified us, but He still saves us daily and is continually sanctifying. We are being conformed to the likeness of Christ daily, if not then you will probably want to do some self checking and see where your faith does lie. That is our main goal in this life, to be conformed to the image of Christ and to glorify the Father.

Sit back some time and meditate on God. Think about what He has done for you personally then think of how He has used you and is still using you. Think about the sacrifice He made just for you. Ponder on how far He has brought you out of your sinful past. Search your mind and remember that feeling when you were first converted and ask God to allow that to be a daily occurrence for you as you regain a closer walk with Him.

No comments: