Saturday, December 18, 2010

Day 169: The Costs Of Relevancy


I want to start this post off with a disclaimer: I love Hobby Lobby. I love the fact that the business is based on Christian principles and is ran in accordance to scripture. I love the fact that they are closed on Sundays. I love the fact that they carry Christian themed items. I really love that they are actually on the less expensive side of the line as well.

Now, with that being said and without me trying to bash Hobby Lobby I must continue. My picture today is of a cross. Not just any cross, but a cross made to look like hot peppers. This was on the shelf display with other pepper items. Just as they have a cowboy shelf with a rustic cross with barbed wire, this particular shelf catered to those with a unction for spicy red peppers.

This is a classic case of going a little too far with relevancy in order to "fit in" with a certain decor or persons taste. The Christian Cross is a sacred thing, where Christ paid for the sins of humanity, pouring out His blood for a thankless world. Taking the image of the Cross and making it into something whimsical like red peppers is not a good thing. I would not go as far as saying it is heretical, but it is showing a lack of regard for what the Cross signifies.

Once again, I am not bashing Hobby Lobby. They have many wonderful items in their stores and I will not stop shopping there because of this item. I do hope it was an oversight in the purchasing department's decision making. Maybe it was a lumped in purchase with other items, who knows? I just do not think it is appropriate as a Cross.

I will close by saying thank you to Hobby Lobby for standing on the Truths of God. Thank you for not giving in to the world and the present evil age. Thank you for publicly stating that God is the focus of your business. Thank you for allowing your employees the opportunity to worship on Sundays. Thank you for the full page advertisements across the USA wishing everyone a Merry Christmas, especially in this "politically correct" society. It is the Hobby Lobby role model I would build my business after if I ever had a business. Thank you and may God continue to bless Hobby Lobby.

No comments: