Monday, April 4, 2011

Beware Of Falling Temperatures


Day 276 in my "Year In My Life Through Pictures" blog series

The main topic of conversation the past couple of days has been the weather. A week or so ago it was the above average temperatures, yesterday it was the high winds and today was some fairly dangerous thunderstorms. Tonight, however, will be the cold temperatures.

As you can see by my screen capture of our weather forecast, they are calling for it to be 37 tonight. That is cold for here this time of year. I believe our normal lows hover around the mid 50s this time of April and highs in the upper 60s to lower 70s. The cold front that came racing through today brought a large dip in temps almost immediately. It went from 75 to 55 in about 30 minutes. Don't get me wrong, I do like the cooler temps, but I do think it needs to warm up to about 70 and stay there for a while. That is my ideal temperature, not too hot and not too cool.

Once again I am reminded of how people like to complain about the weather and other forces of nature that God controls. I am fine with the temps where they are now, but I do long for a little warmer, but I am not complaining. I am in no position to complain about anything (well, except bad doctrine and the heresy that permeates "church" buildings today). As far as complaining, what do I have to complain about? My diet that I am on to lose weight? Because I am eating salads now instead of Reese's Cups? Give me a break, people across this globe would think it a feast to have what I have for a "normal" meal.

God has blessed me richly in many ways. Birthing me into the USA is one of many blessings that a lot of people take for granted. We live in a relatively free society and still some complain. I don't like taxes, but I like them a lot more than I do living in an impoverished nation. Should I complain about the electric bill? That God has blessed me with a job to pay? How about waiting in line at a grocery store for over 5 minutes? Is that grounds to complain or should I be singing for joy that the Lord allows me to pick whatever my taste-buds want off of a shelf?

God has shown me lately that I am very blessed in every aspect of my life. I can honestly say that I would not trade anything with anyone. I am 100% content and happy to be content with the blessings that God has bestowed to me. My contentedness does wane in an area that comes to mind though, making myself available for God to use and actually using my time to further the Kingdom. I tend to put things on the back-burner for whatever reason, usually because of frustration in myself. I set lofty goals instead of trusting in God to use me how, when and where He sees fit. I try to do too much at once and usually feel inadequate.

I need to trust in the Lord more for my shortcomings and stop trying to make things happen. I try to depend on me and need to hand my life totally over to God and stop trying to take it back, even in the areas that are focused on Him. I depend on me and that is wrong. The good thing in this is I see my faults, God has allowed me to see my short comings and allows me to seek Him for strength to accomplish what He would have me to do. How freeing to know that God gives whatever is needed to accomplish the tasks that He initiates. He has promised to direct our paths and I think that means "he will direct our paths". I just have to stop taking my shortcuts and start taking the correct paths.

No comments: