Monday, April 25, 2011

Calm Between The Storms


Day 297 in my "Year In My Life Through Pictures" blog series

It's a little calm right now outside. That is actually kind of eerie because I have always heard the saying "the calm before the storm" and this is it.

It seems like my area is caught in a cycle of storms, with a little break between each. The stage is being set for "catastrophic" flooding, which is only one aspect of the damage happening in this area. We are seeing a high likelihood of tornadoes, large hail and damaging winds in tandem. Many people that I know are taking steps to prepare for the flooding, including my mother and several of our church family and some co-workers. As of right now the threats at my house are from the immediate weather systems that have us in their sights.

The flood of 1937 is largest in recorded history (other than the THE flood recorded in the bible) that caused over $22,000,000 in damage. I wouldn't even care to imagine how much that would be in today's dollars, but I'm sure it would be at least the billions, if not trillions. The flooding that they are calling for this time is supposed to be almost as high as it was then, by the river height. The flood waters from the Ohio River will not make it out to our house, but the back wash and the disabling of the streams into the river could cause some issues. I have seen several streets flooded on my normal commutes, so my immediate area is not without flood issues.

My prayers right now are that there be no tornadoes, the "damaging" winds they are forecasting will not materialize and that the flood waters are kept at bay. Will you join me in prayer for these things and lift the residents of Western Kentucky, Southern Illinois and Southeast Missouri up for safety and for protection? I know that God's will is going to take place, but I also know that He allows us to be part of it through our prayers for whatever reason He designed it that way for. So pray at every remembrance of this post and of every news cast you see or every time you see water throughout your day, but please join us in prayer.

No comments: