Thursday, April 21, 2011

Thanks For The Memory


Day 293 in my "Year In My Life Through Pictures" blog series

Here's a blast from the past - a 3 1/2" floppy disc. Yes, that can hold a whopping 1.44mb of information. Whew! That's a ton of information, well, it used to be about 15 years ago.

So, 15 years ago was around the time I purchased my first PC. Honestly, I paid a ton for it and my cell phone has twice the memory and probably 100 times the computing power that the PC had. The hard drive in my first PC was 3.1gb. Yep, a monster then, but virtually worthless these days.

Over the years as technology has progressed, file sizes have gotten much larger. A photo from almost any digital camera today could not even fit on one of these floppy discs that I pictured, but back in the day I could fit a hundred or so on there. As a matter of fact, my first digital camera used floppy discs as their storage device. It was a Sony Digital Mavica and cost as much as a used car. Thankfully I realized I had gone off the deep end when I bought it and sold it quickly on ebay for what I gave for it.

Actually, these floppy discs are probably so obsolete that I would have a hard time even finding a drive to read them with. I should probably check into that, because I'm sure there is a file or picture on one of these that I really need to have, but don't remember.

I thank God for technology. Many people believe it's a curse, but I believe it can be used as good or as evil. I have been greatly edified and have resources at my fingertips that one would have to, in days gone by, have attended seminary to have available to them. I can sit in front of my computer and have a face to face chat with anyone in the world in real time, that is if I had a webcam. No other time in history could people hear the Word without the advancements in technology that God has blessed us with. But like most things, the enemy also wants to partake and corrupt the gift. Because of that corruption many people want to steer really clear of any temptations that may arise with that technology. That's fine and I will respect their convictions, but they are really missing out on the wealth of resources available.

I just wonder what the Lord has in store for us in another 15 years.

No comments: