Monday, May 16, 2011

Dirty, Grimy, Stinkin' Wretch


Day 319 in my "Year In My Life Through Pictures" blog series

Today was the first day in almost a month that I have been able to drive to my mom's house. If you've been keeping up on this blog you know that we have had a lot of flooding in these here parts lately. The waters have really fallen and fallen quickly.

What is left behind is a layer of silt, muck, dead fish and stench. The ground is covered with a greyish-brown dried mud that the receding river water left behind. But at least the waters are gone and now the hard work can begin. Another positive step was that the electricity was turned back on at her house today. The only question they asked was, "Did the water get into the meter base?" Which was a definite "No". Also, thankfully the water did not reach into the house, except her storage room, which also has some mud left behind. The paneling also absorbed the water and buckled and my NASCAR collection that was in boxes down there is probably about 1/3 less now because of the water. I wonder if FEMA will buy it from me now.

Thankfully through this flooding I have not heard of any loss of life. Everyone seems to have heeded the rising waters. I was thinking about that the other day, how people could see the water rising and that danger was eminent. I thought about sin and how most of the time people try to avoid it, but wait until it has either invaded their home or just sandbagged a layer or two, but the flood of sin was a lot more powerful than they anticipated. They are then left with the silt of the sin after it finally leaves their dwelling place, if at all. The stench is left behind and it appears to be chaos all around. Nothing is the same any longer and sin has done its destruction. The good news is that God will not only step in and clean you up, He will clean you off, shower you, your surroundings and then throw that sin into the depths of the oceans. We are so mired in our sins though, so much that we hold onto their memories. This, even though, the Lord has already taken care of them, even before you were born, even before the foundations of the world. How wonderful is that? God took care of our needs before we knew we had need. He is the Author and Finisher of our faith. I am amazed at His love for me, even though I continually not only see the flood of sin heading my way, I often times run out into the waters and soak in them. I am a wretch to the core without God and only by Him am I worthy of anything. What an awesome God we serve!

No comments: