Friday, May 20, 2011

Healthy Junkfood? Yes!


Day 323 in my "Year In My Life Through Pictures" blog series

WhoNu? Or actually here in Kentucky it should be "Whowuldathinkit?" Cookies that are supposed to be healthy for you to eat. This new brand of cookie, WhoNu, is probably the first of what will be the fad of the moment to make junk food healthy. Really? Do we really need cookies with vitamins and minerals? Really? Can't people just stop eating things that they shouldn't and replace them with things that are natural and full of wholesome goodness already?

It's just like America to do something like this though. The most obese nation on earth according to Nationmaster.com is the United States, so at least we are leading in something. Right? I will readily admit that I have a weight problem. I will take it a step further and say it is because I eat things like cookies, Little Debbie snack cakes, pizza, cake, chips and so much more that I knew was going to pack on the pounds. If I had the mentality of the consumers that will be grabbing these off the shelves it would be in this line of thinking, "Wow, I am unhealthy. I need to start making healthier choices for my diet. Hey, look at that. Healthy cookies. Now I can eat healthier and still eat my junk food." Yeah, that pretty much sums it up.

The back side of the packaging states the following:
As much fiber as a bowl of oatmeal
As much calcium and vitamin D as a 8 oz. glass of milk
As much vitamin C as a cup of blueberries
As much vitamin A as a cup of tomato juice
As much vitamin E as 2 cups of carrot juice
As much iron as a cup of spinach

That is actually quite impressive and would lead anyone to think this is a healthy alternative to an Oreo or ten. Keep reading the label on the nutrition side of the package. You will start to see that 3 cookies also contain 150-170 calories depending on the particular flavor you are looking at. There are also 25g of carbs, 150mg of sodium and 7g of fat. Now, that doesn't seem too healthy to me. I am not a nutritionist after all, but I think I can see a little deception in this.

This does also remind me of most peoples view of Christianity. They may go to church or crusade or concert and expect to hear about God. They may actually be wanting to hear about God in a more personal way. God may be drawing them to Him and they may be on that path. Then when they get to the church service or other gathering, they hear a message that is kind of like these cookies. The message appears good to the hearer, but only because it sounds familiar, like the other messages they have always heard. They hear a false presentation of what salvation is, but the preacher makes it sound so appealing, "Come to Jesus and He will give you purpose" or how about God has a wonderful plan for your life and all you have to do is accept it". They entice the hearer with selfishness and the "What can God do for me" mentality. They are showing them something they desire (salvation) but then they try to talk them into it with things that are not part of the gospel. Of course people will respond when they are the focus of something, they love themselves and are quite sure they need to be happier, have more money, be kept from going to hell or have their marraige healed. Thing is these are all focused on "ME".

Unless the message you are hearing is focused on God it is a false gospel.

No comments: