Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Grill Deal


Day 331 in my "Year In My Life Through Pictures" blog series

It's that time of year again. Time to clean off the grill and start searing some meat. Oh, but wait, our grill is messed up and is only half working. The propane burner is only burning on one side, which means that it is not going to be able to be used as is. I priced a new burner and they clock in at about $30, so with my frugalness and not wanting to repeat the same thing next year I think we will buy a better quality grill.

I thought that a charcoal grill would be nice, since you get a better flavor, Chandra thinks differently and wants the convenience of a gas grill. I admit that gas is much easier to work with, but you do not get the full flavor that charcoal affords. I think that convenience will win out this round though. I can always take the nonworking grill and make it into a charcoal grill and use it too. Wonder if I can make it into a smoker somehow so we can smoke our own meat. May be too much trouble for that, but I am liking the recycling into a charcoal grill idea.

Tomorrow is the kickoff to the official summer season. People will be out at the beach, boating and grilling. It is actually Memorial Day though, but it is now just used as a marker date and an extra day off for people. According to Wikipedia, Memorial Day was first known as "Decoration Day" and was a day that was set aside by formerly enslaved African-Americans to honor Union soldiers of the American Civil War – it was extended after World War I to honor Americans who have died in all wars. The first "known" observance was in 1865 and the name did not morph into "Memorial Day" from "Decoration Day" until 1882.

I do think we should remember those that gave all for this country. We should also be thankful for those currently serving and readily tell them thank you whenever we can. Please take the time this Memorial Day to thank a veteran or a currently enlisted soldier for their willingness to serve and protect us. It is an honorable thing to be a soldier and I greatly appreciate each and every soldier's many sacrifices, as well as their families. So, officially to every soldier current or past I say "THANK YOU".

No comments: