Friday, July 9, 2010

A Year In My Life Through Pictures Day 8


This picture is of a fine dining establishment here in Paducah. Or former one, that is. It was closed yesterday in anticipation of tearing it down and making room for a newer, state of the art McDonald's.

This particular restaurant is #1534, which means it was the 1,534th McDonald's to open in the USA (and the world for that matter). It was opened in 1970, so it has been around all but 2 years of my life and those 2 years I don't remember anyway. There are now over 30,000 McDonald's worldwide.

The first "real" job I had was at McDonald's. Not this particular one, but one owned by the same owners as this one. That was many moons ago, while I was still in high school. I learned a lot working there, how to sweep floors, how to mop floors, how to cook burgers, how to strain french fry grease, how to clean a flat grill, how to properly wash dishes and the all important term "If you've got time to lean, you've got time to clean." Some things you just never forget.

I will miss this old restaurant. I've had many a meals from there and I am sure I will have many more at its replacement for many years to come. But it is a reminder that things change and there is nothing we can do to stop that. But saying that leads me to a point, consistency. That is what makes McDonald's so popular. It is not that their food is better or cheaper than any other restaurants. It is the fact I can go into one here in Paducah and one in Seattle Washington a couple of years ago and get the exact same tasting #6 at both. That's one thing I want for myself too. I want to be the same if I am around my family, church family, coworkers, in the line at a McDonald's or in Seattle Washington. I want to be marked as a follower of God in everything I do and by everything I say. I desire to be consistent in my walk so I am not too critical and not too free-willed either, a balanced consistency to coin a new phrase. Not putting too much emphasis on any one attribute of God, not saying He is angrier than He is loving, or judge more than He is a giver of grace. To just think of God as all of these attributes and more, equally and consistently. For He is the only True and Living God and He changes not.

(P.S. Sorry about the lack of quality of the shot. It was taken at in the dark with my cell phone camera. I'll try to take better photos in the future. I'll also be sure to include a photo of the new store when they get it open in a few months.)

No comments: