Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Nothing To See Here


Day 221 in my "Year In My Life Through Pictures" blog series

I started wearing glasses about 10 years or so ago. My sight is fairly good up close, but at distances it gets progressively worse the further things are away. I noticed this first while driving and I was beginning to not be able to make out signs on the highway until I got close to them. The optometrist told me that I actually had good eyesight, at the time, and that it was just a nuisance issue. Well, my nuisance issue has gotten worse over the years, with a new prescription each time I go to the optometrist. I may even be to the bi-focal range, since I have great up close vision and bad distance vision. I also find myself looking under or over my glasses when looking at items close to me. Most of the time at work I remove them all-together when doing my office duties.

Vision is a great thing. I don't know too many people that would give theirs up for any amount of money. Jesus refers, in the Sermon on the Mount, about plucking your eye out if it causes you to sin. Now that is going to an extreme, but I don't think it was meant to be taken literally, but to show the seriousness of sin and how it must be combated. We must take a fierce stance against our sins and do whatever it takes to get it out of our lives. If it is lust, then stop it! Stop doing the things that put you in the situation to lust. You might have to get so radical as to cancel your internet service. GASP! "But I can't do that", is what most people would say. But, how serious are you, then, about purging the lust from your life? Not serious enough to pluck the web from your eyesight?

Examine your own life. See where you have sin issues and do what it takes to remove them from your life. Do not wait for God to take them away from you. It is your responsibility to live a holy life and to not sin. Part of that is stopping the things that tempt you. Does the TV programs you watch make your jaw drop to your chest with its content? Does it bother you? If not, then you have other issues.

Just stop it! Plain and simple. Black and white. Stop sinning. Glorify God. Share the gospel. Do not put a stumbling block in front of anyone else. Be holy. Period.

No comments: