Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Talk To The Hand


Day 214 in my "Year In My Life Through Pictures" series

Today marked the 15th year of life for Forrest. He chose to have dinner at Logan's and it was tasty. Be partook of the "2 for" meals they offer, which is a really good deal. Well, a good deal except they charge so much for your drinks now, like a lot of other places. I worked in restaurants for a lot of years and know that the largest profit is made from drinks. This is even using paper cups, which is the bulk of the price. Logan's uses reusable, plastic cups so their costs are even less.

Seems like greed is the American way now, for businesses and also for a lot of people. Look at restaurants and the high prices. It costs us at least $30 to dine out these days, which can add up really quickly. Also, look at food and drink prices in the grocery stores. I am a Diet Coke drinker, so I have seen the increase in pricing for them. I use to buy 12 packs on sale for $2.00. Now, I am lucky to find them on sale for $3.00. While a dollar doesn't sound like much, it is a 50% increase which translates into a lot more profit for someone.

It seems this all started about 2 years ago (guessing) when gas prices skyrocketed. Prices on other goods increased and about the same time is when they started talking about a recession and more people being added to the unemployed ranks. Then the gas falls, but everything else stays the same price. The government starts printing and spending more money and decreases the value of the dollar. Obama ushers in the "change" he talked about and started spending even more TRILLIONS of dollars. Inflation is killing people and Obama wants to continue to spend, spend, spend.

I guess what it boils down to in my life is that I need to be a better steward of the money that God has entrusted to my family. I do not manage it very well and we waste quite a bit on dining out, mostly. We do try to cut back on some things, but probably not enough. Maybe I can get a solid spending budget in order and actually stick to it. I know that it will be yet another way to seek the council of God to guide me and my family to a more God honoring way of life.

No comments: