Friday, June 10, 2011

Announcing The Birth Of Elliott 6-10-11


Day 343 in my "Year In My Life Through Pictures" blog series

So, one of those major things happened today. You know, the kind of "thing" that totally changes your life in every way. Matt and Emily welcomed baby Elliott into the world today. So that makes them, officially, parents and Chandra and I grandparents. Yeah, I know you're probably saying, "Jeff, you look so young. There is no way you can be a grandparent". That is true, but I will now be known as Grandpa, papaw, Pops, Granddaddy, Grandfather or something else that Elliott makes up for me. Whatever it is I will be fine with it, but I do kid a lot about just wanting to be called "Jeff".

Although I was not in the room when he was delivered, I was there during his first moments of life. The thought kept running through my mind of him thinking, "Okay, this is enough, put me BACK in there!" His world is now more than the comfy little apartment of Emily's belly. He is a wonderful creation of God, made in the image of God. We all are and we all scream and cry like baby Elliott has been doing since emerging from his dark, former home. Everything will be knew to him. The sights, sounds, smells, tastes and anything else that his senses perceive are all new to him.

Childbirth is what Jesus likened salvation to in John 3. Looking at this newborn baby just brings that to life for me. When God saves us we too experience things in a new light. The darkness that we were comfortable with is now but a memory and the Light of Christ exposes everything in our life. He exposes things and we begin a new existence. Our old self is dead and our new self has been born. We are no longer lifeless to the things of God and we seek nourishment from His Word. We need Him to sustain us and to supply our every need just as a newborn must have all his needs supplied by someone. That reminds me of Matthew 7:11 when Jesus says "If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!" Amazing stuff right there. The Father pours out His love on us, even though we will never deserve an ounce of His mercy.

I'm sure that pictures will abound here and on Facebook of Elliott. This will not be the only time you hear about him. I'm sure I will learn much from the role of grandfather. I have already learned, "Here, he's your son, you change his diaper". Pretty good, huh?

No comments: