Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Old Is The New New


Day 341 in my "Year In My Life Through Pictures" blog series

I decided to look around my pictures folder today and came across some files that I had done up earlier in my blogging days. The main picture is one that I thought turned out really nicely with Glenn Beck. The second is one of a few I did with The Hulk and various heretics, this one Joel Osteen. My skillz as a photoshop expert are minimal and I actually didn't use Photoshop one these, I used the free program Paint.Net. I didn't have Photoshop back then and even to this day still use the free Paint.Net program more.

It's funny how you get used to things, for example the Paint.Net program, and then do not like to change to something else. Photoshop is the ultimate photograph/ graphics program, but is pricey. Paint.Net is a free, open-source program that just happens to be what I used for a few years and learned its workings. Photoshop now to me is a little hard to learn, since I know the nuances of the free program. It's not that I don;t want to not change, but I am much more proficient with the Paint.Net program over Photoshop. I do want to be productive with Photoshop as it works better within After Effects, which is nice.

Now, After Effects I am still learning and probably will be from here on out. It is a powerful program and I know I will not learn to do everything I have seen done with it. I have seen some awesome special effects and other things made with After Effects, I have been impressed. I am also a little overwhelmed by the process, but I am learning each time I do something. It is a process and my processing skillz are getting slower with age along with my nerves, so I take it in small doses until my frustration level starts to rise, which means it's time to log off for the evening.

I do keep in the front of my mind the reason for learning After Effects. To glorify God and to bring honor to His Name. I know that if God is in this He will supply whatever I need to accomplish what He wants me to. If I am to do a video, He will give me the know how to put it together. If He wants me to do more advanced things He will supply me with the newer version of the Adobe Suite - CS5.5, which is a little pricey for me right now. But He will supply or He will allow me to flourish with what He has already given to me. I just want to be obedient and not go beyond what He has in store for me.

This is yet another part of my life that He has allowed me to seek Him through. I fail often, but He picks me up and points me back to Him. I need Him every moment of every day and I need to keep focused on the Lord rather than on myself.

2 comments:

Whitt Madden said...

Have you tried GIMP? It is a freeware application that has all of the bells and whistles of Photoshop, and it is free. I've used it for about 8 years. There is a bit of a learning curve, but there are plenty of resources on the internet to help get you started.

Jeff said...

I have heard of Gimp but never tried it. Paint.net is free too and has a lot of free plugins available and is very powerful.