Saturday, June 11, 2011

Life Is Short


Day 344 in my "Year In My Life through Pictures" blog series

Time...... it always has seemed like there was always plenty for me. I'm quickly realizing just how short our time on Earth really is. I like how the HCSB puts James 4:14 You don't even know what tomorrow will bring—what your life will be! For you are a bit of smoke that appears for a little while, then vanishes.

Our lives are but like a puff of smoke, that can only be seen for a moment in time. How it fades out and then is but a memory. That is why each and every moment lived should not be wasted. Don't get me wrong here, I am preaching to myself first and foremost. I waste a lot of time on insignificant "things" that could be better spent on Kingdom focused activities. Not out of a law mentality, but out of a love mentality. But right now I don't. I am selfish and I focus more on me than I do Christ. I spend more energy getting ready for a wok day than I do in study of the Word.

So, how can I change this? How can I get focused on God? I must do as David did in Psalms 51 and cry to God to change me -
:2 Wash away my guilt and cleanse me from my sin.
:7 Purify me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
:9 Turn Your face away from my sins and blot out all my guilt.
:10 God, create a clean heart for me and renew a steadfast spirit within me
:12 Restore the joy of Your salvation to me and give me a willing spirit.
:15 Lord, open my lips and my mouth will declare Your praise.

David realized that he couldn't do it, that he was a sinful person that really needed Gods guidance and forgiveness. May I be that same kind of person, where I lay it all out on the table and say "God, please fix this about me". Feeling brokenness is a gift from God. This is an evidence of sorrow because of breaking the laws of God. Not because He will punish us for sinning, but that we hurt Him when we do sin.

May He continue to grace me with a heart that wants to repent. May He continue to whittle away at my sinfulness and open my eyes to what grieves Him.

No comments: