Saturday, June 4, 2011

Monumental Day For A Yard Sale


Day 337 in my "Year In My Life Through Pictures" blog series

This weekend was the 400 mile Yard Sale across Kentucky. The course of the yard sale starts (or ends depending on which way you're traveling) in the outer parts of Paducah and travels the length of Highway 68 ending/ starting in Maysville Kentucky.

Chandra and I set out again this year to seek hidden treasures, counting last year this is our second year in a row . Last year we made it to Cadiz KY and decided to call it a day and went to Clarksville Tennessee for some shopping. This year we made it a bit further and ended up in Hopkinsville. Along the way we saw several folks setup selling things. We stopped at a few places along he way and did not buy very much. We also stopped at the Jefferson Davis Monument in Fairview KY. I have seen it before from a distance, but we decided to take a closer look today.

The monument looks very much like the Washington Monument in Washington D.C., except it is not as tall. It measures in at 351 feet while the Washington Monument overtakes it at 555 feet. The Davis Monument is, however, the tallest reinforced concrete obelisk in the world. Not really sure why they chose an obelisk as a monument for either Davis or Washington. Maybe that is something that I should research a little bit.

I had a good time with my wife today, just driving around and being together. It's been a while since we have had any tie just the two of us and it was being missed. Not that we have to do something just the two of us all the time, but we do need to have our time to just be together. Just driving along the road and sharing the view means a lot. We don't even have to talk, just knowing she is there beside me sharing the moment is enough. She probably prefers I keep my mouth shut anyway.

No comments: