Thursday, June 23, 2011

Vacation = Oh Yeah!


Day 356 in my "Year In My Life Through Pictures" blog series

Only one more day of work until I start my vacation. With the 4th of July falling on a Monday I will also get that off, extending my vacation out another day, 10 days in a row. Yes! I love it when that happens. I normally take my birthday week off every year, sort of out of tradition, because we haven't actually gone anywhere in a few years. This year we will not be going anywhere over this vacation time either, well, maybe one day so I can use my freebie Genghis Grill meal coupon they emailed me for my birthday.

I've been at my job for over 15 years now, a really long time. With the 15th year came another week of vacation, putting me at 4 weeks off per year, or a full month. I really like my job, but I do realize it is just the means that God uses to support my family. I would be upset if I did lose my job, but I do know that God is in control. I am not anticipating losing my job, just saying "if". God is my source, not my job, so I know He will take care of us in the right way.

Also, my job is a mission field. There are a lot of people that work there and the majority are not saved. Unfortunately I do not get to interact with everyone, seeing how we work 3 shifts/ 24 hours a day. Also I work most of the time on a computer in the office, so interaction with most guys on my shift even is limited. I know I fail miserably when talking with these guys. While I do talk about my faith, it is not enough. It's as if I don't really believe they will one day be in hell if they do not repent and turn to God. I laugh and joke with them, work hard side by side, but yet do not warn them of the horror that is their future. Some say they are Christians, some say they are atheists and one even says he was raised a Jehovah's Witness, but I can count on one hand those that I believe to be converted, not that I judge their hearts, but their fruit is ever present before me on a daily basis.

I need to be seeking God more during my working hours, so He can use me more. I know that I need to be casting the seeds of the Gospel often and broad, tilling the hard grounds, allowing God to water where He wishes. After all, that is what we are commanded to do, along with making disciples. I pray that God allows my co-workers the grace needed to believe, that they will see themselves in the state they are in before the Holy God. May they repent and cry out for forgiveness and place all faith and hope in Jesus Christ.

Please pray for me that I will be a obedient servant to the Lord.

1 comment:

Whitt Madden said...

It took me a long time to view my job as a mission field. I kept day dreaming about all of the "other" things I could be doing to glorify God. Work certainly was not on my list of things that could do that.
That was, until about 2 years ago.

A new hire that I had to train, grew up in church, but as an adult wanted nothing to do with it.

We talked about God, and this person openly did not believe. "It was a great story for others, but not for their life" was one of the responses.

A year passed. Around Christmas I bought my dept gift cards from Wal Mart.

This person works midnight shift, and one day I got a call from them around 1 pm. Usually that call means that they are calling in sick for the coming shift.

This was not the case.

"I wanted to call and tell you what I got with my gift card!"

I said "Ok, but shouldn't you be asleep by now?"

"I can't sleep, thats why I called! I was in Walmart trying to think of what you would want me to get with my gift card. So.... I bought a Bible! I bought a Bible and I can't quit reading it! I haven't been able to put it down!"

God is at work through our lives, and often I don't think that we give it any thought, but people are watching us.

This world is desperate to see something real, and as the cliche goes "We may be the only Bible some people ever read"

Be encouraged. Pray for the opportunity to share, and be bold.